Often humorously, the “Spirit animal” is used as a metaphor, for someone or something a person relates to or admires.
Earlier, the spiritual guides or sacred symbols were in the form of animals. These animals were worshipped as they guided and helped the person achieve his purpose in life.
Spirit animal refers to the “spirit” of an animal, which helps, guides or protects a person.
Based on a person’s characteristics the “Spirit animal” shares or embodies the person’s personality.
You may get dreams of a certain animal, or you may be fascinated by a certain animal, or which animal do you relate yourself to, all these questions can help you identify your spirit animal.
Animals have certain strengths and traits that we can use more of in our own lives.
The leadership qualities in a man are similar to the spirit animal “Lion”.
The “Spirit animal” concept helps you understand yourself by making you know about the qualities of your animal.
Here are the qualities of 15 “Spirit animals”. So, try to find out, which “Spirit Animal” do you relate to?
15 “Spirit animals” and their “Core Qualities”
When you see a bear, you can feel that it has a deep connection with nature.
The quality of the Bear is that it gets closely attached to its surroundings. Hence, a Bear is a deeply emotional animal.
The bear is a “spirit animal” which is in touch with the earth and the cycles of nature. So, the bear is a powerful spirit animal that can you heal physically and emotionally.
The bear signifies:
- This spirit animal signifies strength and confidence.
- Standing against harsh conditions by taking the right actions, which is a sign of a good leader.
- It is time for healing or using healing abilities to help self or others heal.
- The bear also highlights the importance of rest, quiet time and solitude.
- The spirit of the bear provides strong grounding forces, that tells us to be in touch with nature.
Butterflies are extremely adaptable and go through all changes/phases of life with ease and grace.
In several cultures, the butterfly is considered a symbol of transformation and development.
The spirit of the butterfly shows us that we all can go through important life changes.
- And just like the butterfly, we should enjoy the changes with grace, lightness and joy.
- The butterfly is a sacred symbol, primarily associated with change and transformation. This means that you can develop your personality by going through powerful transformation or metamorphosis in your life.
- By going through the different phases of life is related to – renewal and rebirth.
- By being playful and light like a butterfly, you will be able to enjoy life better.
The cat symbolizes adventure, curiosity, patience and independence.
This spirit animal is symbolic of the connection with what usually hides in darkness or the unknown, and so will take you on an adventure!!!
The cat generally signifies:
- Waiting for the right moment to act, to be patient.
- The balance between social connections and independence.
- Being adventurous, which will make you courageous.
- Adventures will help you explore yourself. This will help you be deeply in touch with yourself and have a relaxed connection with yourself.
- Curiosity, exploration of the unknown or the unconscious mind will help you heal from the inside out.
The deer is a sensitive and highly intuitive spirit guide.
A deer even symbolizes confidence, gentleness, grace and success.
The deer as a spirit animal signifies that:
- By being gentle you will be able to move through life and obstacles with grace.
- By being in touch with your inner child, you can preserve your innocence. (soft)
- By being sensitive, intuitive and vigilant you will be able to change quickly as per the situation. (adaptability)
- The deer is symbolic of the magical ability to regenerate by being in touch with life’s mysteries.
Dove is known to be an optimistic animal. Hence, the dove represents blessings, peace and new beginnings.
Doves belong to the Columbidae family of birds. With over 300 species, doves are found on every continent apart from Antarctica.
Doves appear in folklore and mythological stories around the world.
The dove symbolizes:
- The Holy Spirit
- The Human Soul
The dolphin signifies communication, playfulness, unity and wisdom.
The dolphin as a spirit animal represents balance and harmony.
- Dolphins are highly intelligent animals. They are closely in tune with their instincts.
- Dolphins also symbolize protection and resurrection.
- The playful nature of a dolphin reminds us that everyone needs to approach life with humour and joy.
- You are usually gentle and peaceful, but with a deep inner strength.
The eagle is a symbol of creativity, dignity, and grace.
This spirit animal is an inspiring messenger because it can soar to heights other birds merely dream of!!!
The eagle can see things closely. They observe the most minute of details to see life from a broader perspective.
The Eagle signifies:
- The eagle can soar to great heights, yet they are strongly connected to the earth.
- You are resilient and are in complete harmony with the spiritual aspects of your life. You are ready to accept life’s challenges with unshakable courage, confidence and determination.
- You can create healing and positive changes in your life and the lives of those around you.
- Eagle as a spirit animal guides you to focus on yourself: emotionally, mentally and physically to gain guidance and support through shamanic journeying.
The elephant represents gentleness, spirituality, understanding and wisdom.
In many cultures, elephants are highlighted as signs of inspiration, power, reverence and wisdom.
The strength of an elephant is legendary throughout history as well as mythology.
Even today, elephants still carry this powerful significance with them.
This makes the elephant a perfect spirit animal for anyone who wants to take charge of happenings in their life.
- The elephant symbolizes endurance and a desire to live a long life.
- It also symbolizes that life is like a circus, it’s sometimes crazy, but always full of wonder.
The hawk represents the perspective and the talent to see things from all sides. It is an extremely empathetic and compassionate animal.
The hawk is a sacred symbol of wisdom, which means that you have to see situations from a higher perspective, by using the power of observation and concentrating on the task at hand.
The hawk represents:
- Hawk is the messenger of the spirit world, to take the lead when the time is right. This spirit animal is also a good companion to explore spiritual awareness.
- Hawks can fly and reach the skies. This helps them to focus to see things differently.
- As you are focused you will have a strong connection with spirits, which will help you increase your spiritual awareness.
- Hawks are spirit animals, that belong to the realm of bird medicine.
The horse is the guide of drive and passion.
The horse is an incredibly productive and goal-oriented animal.
This spirit animal represents appetite for freedom, personal drive and passion.
The horse is the only spirit animal that shows strong motivation to carry one through life.
The horse generally represents:
- The ability to develop your personality.
- Driving force, that is required to thrive in life
- Strong emotions and passionate desires to keep you motivated.
For the lion, we use the expression “the lion, king of the jungle”. The lion is a natural-born leader. The lion has a deep sense of authority.
The lion has a lot of aggression and hence struggles to deal with personal feelings.
So, a person whose spirit animal is a lion, will stand up to threats and will be an assertive go-getter.
The lion as a spirit animal symbolizes:
- Assertiveness, personal power, strength.
- Lion as a spirit animal warns you about a threatening situation or event in your life.
- Lions usually dominate other animals in nature, which reflects your ability to lead others to the right path.
The peacock represents reinvention and resurrection.
Peacock tries to tell us that – It is never too late to change course.
Peacock as a spirit animal:
- You can maintain a delicate balance of confidence and humility.
- The peacocks are symbolic of honour, integrity. re-growth, rejuvenation, royalty and respect.
- Peacocks are also a symbol of beauty, love, and passion for life because it starts dancing when it rains.
- In Hinduism and Buddhism cultures, the peacock is considered to be a sacred animal as it is related to rejuvenation and re-growth and hence worshipped alongside their deities.
Snake as a spirit animal plays the role of a guide and an emotional healer.
The snake represents positivity and spiritual transformation.
In ancient traditions as well as modern times, snakes are considered sacred symbols of healing powers and opportunities.
As per Greek mythology, Asclepius, the god of medicine, is seen with two snakes climbing up a rod. Nowadays, this symbol is known as the “Caduceus”.
The snake symbolizes:
- The spirit of the snake is connected to the life force and is a source of primal energy, it provides you with spiritual guidance.
- It can provide you with guidance related to the life changes and transitions, whether they are occurring at the emotional, physical or spiritual level.
- You should pay attention to how you use your energy, and where you draw it from.
- You should be sensitive to your healing abilities towards yourself or others.
- You should be in touch with the earth and nature.
When you see a turtle, you feel that it is the most peaceful and serene animal.
If the turtle is your spirit animal, then you should take a break from your busy lifestyle and look around or look within, like how the turtle pulls its head inside the shell, for more grounded, long-lasting solutions. This is the best way for you to feel refreshed in your life.
The turtle represents:
- Peace – cultivate peace of mind and a peaceful relationship with our environment.
- If your spirit animal is a turtle, then you are a breath of fresh air from the bustle of life!!
- You like to have calm and long-lasting relationships with others.
- You are grounded and patient and are unaffected by the external anguishes.
The wolf represents appetite for freedom, awareness of the importance of social connections, instinct and intelligence.
This spirit animal also symbolizes the fear of being threatened and lack of trust.
If the wolf is your spirit animal, you should pay attention to what your intuition is telling you.
The spirit animal, the wolf represents:
- Appetite for freedom to express their strong instincts.
- Need of a deep connection with yourself, otherwise, you will always feel threatened due to a lack of trust in someone or yourself.
- You are blessed with sharp intelligence.
My spirit animal is the “Snake”.
Do let me know about your spirit animal,
in the comments section below.
And always remember,
“Life is Simple”.